The Aquarium of Crete is part of THALASSOKOSMOS (the building complex of HCMR in Heraklion, Crete), the largest complex for marine research, technology and entertainment in the Mediterranean area, that has established its function and its development of scientific knowledge and discoveries in Marine Science and wants to:
- be a medium of promoting and popularizing knowledge and innovation generated by the HCMR and the global marine research industry, namely the future of human relations with the sea.
- offer a unique spectacle that will always fascinate children and adults and to inform, educate and raise the awareness of the public on the diversity of Mediterranean fish species and habitats by visualising the Mediterranean sea life using modern ways and equipment.
- discover, admire, experience and initiate actions on maritime issues for the decades to come together with the visitor.
- enhance the eternal relationship between humans and the Mediterranean sea environment and to create incentives and raise questions on the protection and sustainable management of the Mediterranean sea ecosystem.
- set its individual identity so that it distinguishes from other aquariums, to become unique among the destination options in Crete and to become an alternative entertainment option.
- be part of the continues research on the behaviour and welfare of sea species that can be adapted in controlled conditions, to have a modern research infrastructure and to ensure excellent access conditions to researchers and young scientists, to be an incubator of innovation.
- refinance its actions and activities.